Size: 81 acres (33 hectares)
Restoration began: 2005
This area of land on the southern border of Holme Fen National Nature Reserve was purchased in 2005. Together with Old Chapel Land it occupies almost all the area between the B660 and the wooded NNR. Holme Fen has been drying out since the drainage of the Whittlesea Mere in the 1850’s, putting its rare wildlife under threat, but Summer Standing has been important in helping Holme Fen to retain a higher water level.
There is a beautiful view out over Summer Standing from the southern edge of Holme Fen, with areas of standing water in winter. Cattle can often be seen grazing on this part of the fen, and surveying this restored area has found some rare plant species including Golden Dock.
The purchase and restoration was made possible by Biffaward, the Charles Hayward Charitable Trust, Esmee Fairbairn Foundation, Natural England and the Tubney Charitable Trust.
Restoration began: 2010
Fixed Point Photography: See point 21.
This small area of land surrounds the old derelict chapel beside the B660, running west from there as far as the railway line.
Its a good spot for skylarks with over being 50 spotted on one occasion!
The area can be located on this map of the Great Fen.